Q1 : Part Two
Though we were in mourning, my mom, bro and I still had to deal with an upcoming event scheduled for the end of Q1.
My wedding.
Here we were still reeling over having our world turned upside down and flat on it’s back, and now we had to think about my wedding??
My mother, brother and I deliberated. My fiancé and I deliberated. Our extended families deliberated. And we came to the conclusion that this wedding would still take place on the 17th of March. Out of respect for my father.
You see, my fiancé and I had decided that we should get married in India. It would be one, big, glorious event unlike anything our guests could ever experience in the U.S. So my dad went to India last October and booked everything. The temple, the breakfast/lunch venue, even different tailors for my wedding trousseau. I didn’t see a single picture of anything. I just took him for his word.
Keeping the wedding date was a little tribute to my dad. That even though he wasn’t here anymore in the flesh, at least his spirit could find the place where his daughter would be wed.
It was a bitter-sweet event. I almost felt guilty for getting excited or happy over things. Like my giddiness somehow meant that I was forgetting my father and the fact that he was dead. I don’t know. Being sad is exhausting. I think we all needed a little break.
The wedding itself was beautiful. I don’t know if it would have been as meaningful had this tragedy not happened. My family and my husband’s family felt so close to one another. There was no distinction between family and in-laws. The ceremony was by far the most special and a clear favorite of all the events during the three-day wedding.
Once everything was over and my husband and I were all wed, we were in dire need of an escape from India and people in general. So we headed for the Maldives. A honeymoon that turned me into even more of a spoiled brat than I already am. At the W Hotel Maldives, there was no difference between celebrity and Deepi-from-the-block. Everyone staying here was treated exactly the same: like royalty. I was pampered. I was massaged. I was fed free Cornetto ice cream several times a day. I even received my open water diving certification. And that’s when I realized I was destined to be a diver.
Yes. It’s true. The ocean loves me. And damn it, I love it right back! In five dives I managed to see an octopus, two sea turtles, several eels, a plethora of tropical fish and a beautiful, fragile coral reef. But the highlight was the manta dive. Oh man! These creatures (which spanned about twenty ft in width) were like something out of a sci-fi flick. They came towards us with a steady, rhythmic movement as if they were flying in slow motion under water. Absolutely. Freaking. Amazing.
After six incredible days, we were ready to leave our tropical oasis. I highly recommend the Maldives if you’re into clear turquoise water, white powder-like sandy beaches, and amazing wildlife, both on land and underwater. You know, the usual shit.
The husband and I made it back to the U.S. with a case of food poisoning (thank you Lufthansa) but in overall good health and all limbs attached. We then headed to our new home in Puerto Rico (well, new for me since the husband has already lived and worked there for four years). PR is also tropical but not the same tropical as the Maldives. Nothing can touch the Maldives. Nothing.
It’s been almost two glorious months since the husband and I became husband and wife. I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m extremely lucky and blessed to have such a solid foundation in my life. With everything that I’ve gone through, the husband has been right there with both arms stretched out ready to comfort me and make me stronger. He is my partner and with all his quirks and goofiness, he’s also the best thing that’s ever happened to me.
My wedding.
Here we were still reeling over having our world turned upside down and flat on it’s back, and now we had to think about my wedding??
My mother, brother and I deliberated. My fiancé and I deliberated. Our extended families deliberated. And we came to the conclusion that this wedding would still take place on the 17th of March. Out of respect for my father.
You see, my fiancé and I had decided that we should get married in India. It would be one, big, glorious event unlike anything our guests could ever experience in the U.S. So my dad went to India last October and booked everything. The temple, the breakfast/lunch venue, even different tailors for my wedding trousseau. I didn’t see a single picture of anything. I just took him for his word.
Keeping the wedding date was a little tribute to my dad. That even though he wasn’t here anymore in the flesh, at least his spirit could find the place where his daughter would be wed.
It was a bitter-sweet event. I almost felt guilty for getting excited or happy over things. Like my giddiness somehow meant that I was forgetting my father and the fact that he was dead. I don’t know. Being sad is exhausting. I think we all needed a little break.
The wedding itself was beautiful. I don’t know if it would have been as meaningful had this tragedy not happened. My family and my husband’s family felt so close to one another. There was no distinction between family and in-laws. The ceremony was by far the most special and a clear favorite of all the events during the three-day wedding.
Once everything was over and my husband and I were all wed, we were in dire need of an escape from India and people in general. So we headed for the Maldives. A honeymoon that turned me into even more of a spoiled brat than I already am. At the W Hotel Maldives, there was no difference between celebrity and Deepi-from-the-block. Everyone staying here was treated exactly the same: like royalty. I was pampered. I was massaged. I was fed free Cornetto ice cream several times a day. I even received my open water diving certification. And that’s when I realized I was destined to be a diver.
Yes. It’s true. The ocean loves me. And damn it, I love it right back! In five dives I managed to see an octopus, two sea turtles, several eels, a plethora of tropical fish and a beautiful, fragile coral reef. But the highlight was the manta dive. Oh man! These creatures (which spanned about twenty ft in width) were like something out of a sci-fi flick. They came towards us with a steady, rhythmic movement as if they were flying in slow motion under water. Absolutely. Freaking. Amazing.
After six incredible days, we were ready to leave our tropical oasis. I highly recommend the Maldives if you’re into clear turquoise water, white powder-like sandy beaches, and amazing wildlife, both on land and underwater. You know, the usual shit.
The husband and I made it back to the U.S. with a case of food poisoning (thank you Lufthansa) but in overall good health and all limbs attached. We then headed to our new home in Puerto Rico (well, new for me since the husband has already lived and worked there for four years). PR is also tropical but not the same tropical as the Maldives. Nothing can touch the Maldives. Nothing.
It’s been almost two glorious months since the husband and I became husband and wife. I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m extremely lucky and blessed to have such a solid foundation in my life. With everything that I’ve gone through, the husband has been right there with both arms stretched out ready to comfort me and make me stronger. He is my partner and with all his quirks and goofiness, he’s also the best thing that’s ever happened to me.

2 Comments:
blah blah blah maldives blah blah blah spoiled blah blah blah.
sounds great.
You're bringing a tear to my eye!
I wanna see some pictures. What are you doing in Puerto Rico? Should I continue reading? What's with all the questions?
Honestly, I wish you all the happiness for a billion years to come. (at least that's what the card says that's sitting on my counter top waiting to be sent to you!)
Post a Comment
<< Home