Social Retard or The Lone Ranger?
I've started noticing changes in myself. Not weird "I've grown a third ass cheek" type of physical change but more like changes in how I view life in general. It seems folks, that I'm enjoying time spent with ME. Me has become one of my closest new friends. Me and I enjoy taking long drives together, watching TV together, even showering together. Me doesn't think my sense of humor is weird or geeky; in fact, Me actually finds me quite funny! Me lets things be. She doesn't pressure me or make me feel guilty for spending a chilled out evening at home. Me understands me.
Now, I'm not saying that I've turned into a homebody (not that there's anything wrong with that). It's more that I don't find the need in doing those things that are so common in twenty-something land. The "Woo hoo! Alright! Let's get PLASTERED this weekend!" mindset. The need to expand the social circle to 500 people as quickly as possible. The frivolous conversations with random people while one shoulder surfs in search of a more interesting, frivolous conversation to join.
Am I getting old or older?
As I near 30 it seems that I've kind of, unintentionally, reevaluated my life and altered it without any need to consult myself. And I'm totally fine with that. I still enjoy going out but rather it be with my fiance (when I get to see him) or with a few close friends. I'd rather have deep conversations about random things while grooving to sweet music than packed in some overcrowded, over-amplified bar, squeezed in next to a guy who's sweat keeps dripping down my arm. I enjoy spending time with my family and appreciate them more now than I ever did.
Is this a normal transformation or have I jumped the gun by about 10 years?
Enlighten me, thirty-somethings!
Now, I'm not saying that I've turned into a homebody (not that there's anything wrong with that). It's more that I don't find the need in doing those things that are so common in twenty-something land. The "Woo hoo! Alright! Let's get PLASTERED this weekend!" mindset. The need to expand the social circle to 500 people as quickly as possible. The frivolous conversations with random people while one shoulder surfs in search of a more interesting, frivolous conversation to join.
Am I getting old or older?
As I near 30 it seems that I've kind of, unintentionally, reevaluated my life and altered it without any need to consult myself. And I'm totally fine with that. I still enjoy going out but rather it be with my fiance (when I get to see him) or with a few close friends. I'd rather have deep conversations about random things while grooving to sweet music than packed in some overcrowded, over-amplified bar, squeezed in next to a guy who's sweat keeps dripping down my arm. I enjoy spending time with my family and appreciate them more now than I ever did.
Is this a normal transformation or have I jumped the gun by about 10 years?
Enlighten me, thirty-somethings!

15 Comments:
will u accept comments from the 26ers? cause i feel the same way. A LOT. and im also noticing fine lines around the eyes...
at least when you're 13 and your body is going through changes, mom hands you a pad, takes you to lunch and tells you about becoming a woman. and teachers show you videos that explain you're totally normal.
what we s'possed to do now. where's my goddamned video huh?
as you know, deeps, i've been emotionally 30, since i was about 25. so, i feel like i can give you legit advice. you're maturing, dear. blossiming from a woman into a lady. you're moving from forever21 to banana republic. from bath&body works to the body shop. you have a whole list of things you want to get done on saturday morning, so staying in on friday sounds good. i hear ya. do it all the time. don't deny these feelings. let them wash over you like calgon (which you'll be usuing soon). buy some eye cream and join the club. we welcome you and we should definitely plan a trip to talbots soon.
kiss kiss
Dang it, Deeps. You read my mind. I go home these days, sit down with my wine glass and think man this is nice. I have suddedly lost all rhythm and don't recognize any songs playing at clubs. Laffy taffy? Excuse me? And don't get me started with loud music (and people) at bars. And speaking of bars, my main qualifying factor these days is if I won't look out of place in jeans, t-shirt and flip flops.
I'm not old. But my soul is.
And I'm only 26. This is when I'm supposed to be doing coke lines off of stripper's tits, right?
Tweets, I just had spicy hummus come through my nose at the vision of you doing coke of a stripper's tits.
As the only 30-something poster thus far (ahem), BELIEVE me when I say this is totally normal. I mean really, there are only so many tits in this world one can snort from before you get bored and decide that jeans and a t-shirt, a nice glass of wine and a bar where you can actually have a conversation with someone sounds like a slice of Saturday night heaven. For fuck sake, girl, you've got things to do on Sunday: gym, laundry, coffee, grocery - things that make you feel nice and organized for your new Me life. Don't fight it, kenny loggins. Embrace it.
Besides, drinking and smoking add YEARS to your face and butt. Don't do it. Hugs, not drugs.
Okay... I a feel weird now, I am 18 and relate all to well to your discription. But at my age that makes me a socail retard.
i think i speak on behalf of the rest of the blogsphere, when i say it's time to update again...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Post a Comment
<< Home