Can I get a job number for this?
Pretty much every job out there requires a person to use some sort of method to track his/her hours. Whether it's a card you punch or hours you log in, there's some type of system. You work. You have hours. You get paid.
My question is, who do I bill my personal hours to?
Meaning, the hours spent outside of work. My hours. Those precious minutes that I only have so many of on a two-day weekend. Hours that shouldn't be jacked with. But for some reason, they are. Being jacked with, that is.
For instance, I had a manicure appointment this past weekend at a day spa (no, I'm not a snob. I just like getting pampered from time to time -- sue me). Anyway, something else came up that required my time so I had to call and cancel. No biggie right? Not exactly. The day spa has a 24 hour cancellation/re-scheduling policy. I obviously didn't have that luxury of time so to avoid a charge I had to resort to lying. HOW-EV-ER, the times that I have made it to my appointments at said day spa (very punctually, mind you) I've had to wait a good 10 minutes or so before my actual services started. But do I get to bill the spa for wasting 15 minutes of my time because they're understaffed/overbooked/whatever? Nooooooo.
Same goes for airlines. How many freakin' times have flights been delayed? I mean, fine. I'll give the whole "bad weather" scenario a break. Acts of God can't be helped other than by...God. BUT! Mechanical issues, ground crew's late, pilot's drunk and needs to sober up -- these things ARE NOT. MY. FAULT. Yet they still knock my ass off a flight if I show up nine minutes prior to departure vs. the cut off time of 10 minutes. I was stuck in traffic. I couldn't leave work early. My dog died. Do these bastards care? Hell no. After all, it's NOT. THEIR. FAULT. But my all time favorite bitch is the change fee. That piece of shit "$100 change fee plus difference of fare" asshole FEE. That one gets me. Un-freakin-believable.
Y'know what? I'm gonna start charging my own damn change fee. But my charges will be much more fair. Cancelled movie plans? $5. Can't make it to dinner? $20. Bailed on an out of town trip? $50. Mind you, I probably won't have any friends left (or a fiance for that matter) but it's a matter of principle, right?
Crap. Nevermind.
My question is, who do I bill my personal hours to?
Meaning, the hours spent outside of work. My hours. Those precious minutes that I only have so many of on a two-day weekend. Hours that shouldn't be jacked with. But for some reason, they are. Being jacked with, that is.
For instance, I had a manicure appointment this past weekend at a day spa (no, I'm not a snob. I just like getting pampered from time to time -- sue me). Anyway, something else came up that required my time so I had to call and cancel. No biggie right? Not exactly. The day spa has a 24 hour cancellation/re-scheduling policy. I obviously didn't have that luxury of time so to avoid a charge I had to resort to lying. HOW-EV-ER, the times that I have made it to my appointments at said day spa (very punctually, mind you) I've had to wait a good 10 minutes or so before my actual services started. But do I get to bill the spa for wasting 15 minutes of my time because they're understaffed/overbooked/whatever? Nooooooo.
Same goes for airlines. How many freakin' times have flights been delayed? I mean, fine. I'll give the whole "bad weather" scenario a break. Acts of God can't be helped other than by...God. BUT! Mechanical issues, ground crew's late, pilot's drunk and needs to sober up -- these things ARE NOT. MY. FAULT. Yet they still knock my ass off a flight if I show up nine minutes prior to departure vs. the cut off time of 10 minutes. I was stuck in traffic. I couldn't leave work early. My dog died. Do these bastards care? Hell no. After all, it's NOT. THEIR. FAULT. But my all time favorite bitch is the change fee. That piece of shit "$100 change fee plus difference of fare" asshole FEE. That one gets me. Un-freakin-believable.
Y'know what? I'm gonna start charging my own damn change fee. But my charges will be much more fair. Cancelled movie plans? $5. Can't make it to dinner? $20. Bailed on an out of town trip? $50. Mind you, I probably won't have any friends left (or a fiance for that matter) but it's a matter of principle, right?
Crap. Nevermind.

3 Comments:
geez, if i got paid for delayed subway time alone, i could stop with this advertsing nonsense and have a whole lot more of MY own time to charge people for...
I'd love to be at some fancy dallas day spa the day some high-haired biatch tells you that you owe them money for being 15 minutes late. oh. no. she. DIHN'T.
hey, ps - i think i might owe you $5 for an unreturned phone call in late 2004. But that's cool. You didn't return an email in June of 2005. So we're all good.
i think this is an awesome idea, even though i would regularly owe people $ for being late. like work.
i once saw a movie where the main character would pay people 50 cents for their time if she told a bad story. i live by that. i'm constantly telling people i owe them 50 cents.
perhaps i should start collecting as well...
Post a Comment
<< Home