Thursday, December 15, 2005

Buyer's Remorse?

So, I've been having a slight case of the "new job blues." Whether or not this is common or I'm just an ungrateful bi-atch, I dunno. I mean, I'm not hating work or anything; just was expecting something else. Something more like....school. I know! REAL jobs are NEVER like school, though schools try their damnedest to make you think they're giving you "real world" experience. So here are my biggest complaints (I know...ungrateful bi-atch):

1. I miss concepting. Lately, and mind you my "lately" has only been three weeks, I've been doing 100% design work and 95% has been for web stuff. Yes, I know. I'm an Art Director. I GET THAT. And I really do enjoy designing stuff. But what I get juiced up for is concepting. I have this serious love/hate thing for it. As many times as I've thrown myself against a wall in hopes of knocking loose some brilliant ideas, I've always, in the end, have felt this feeling of satisfaction. And then! I get to the design part.

2. I miss male creatives. OK, don't hit me. I'm oh-so-overjoyed that many creatives these days are of the estrogen-producing kind, and some of my dearest friends (RBrown, CrazyVirgo, Half Listening, BLH, BDH, etc.) are awesome examples of women who are brilliant, funny and DAMN GOOD CREATIVES. Maybe there's a different strain of creatives-with-boobies (CWB) in Dallas? I dunno. I just don't have the same repertoire as I normally do with guy creatives. Is that seriously fucked up? Again, I dunno. This leads me to my next thought...

3. I'm a guy-girl, not a girl-girl. If you're unaware of this terminology, let me explain. Now, guy-girls tend to have a lot of guy friends and are typically more at ease hanging with guys in a non-sexual/let's joke around kind of way. They have girl friends also but those friends are usually guy-girls themselves. They also may have the occasional girl-girl as a friend but usually keep her around for some great makeup tips and some possible advice on how to sew pillow shams. On the other hand, girl-girls tend to be very...how you say...GIRLIE. They tend not to swear and it's hard for them to rough it out in the wilderness without their entire collection of MAC makeup. They talk girlie. They act girlie. They're just girlie. Questions?

Now, I'm not saying that the CWBs I work with are the girl-girl kind. They seem too cool for that. I'm actually having some difficulty labeling them, y'know, because that's how you really get to know people -- by labeling them first.

Someone stop me.

So maybe I'm just being a little snot who despite being very busy still finds the time to bitch about shit like this. Aaaannnddd great. My CD just walked by and saw my blog name. Perfect. Now I'll be looking for a new job come Jan 1st.

I think I'll shut up now.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

deep-even cowgirls get the blues. (teee heeee heee had to say it!!)
ok, so yes, you're an art director. you do have to art direct. i'm a writer. which mean i hate to write many many many of those horrible cell phones ads with a certain welsh actress that you see in the nytimes every sunday, and the annoying banners for a miserable, no-good cable provider that pop up while you're surfing for new shoes. it's all part of the job. you have to look at the bright side of things. would you rather be doing what you're currently doing or would you rather be at the agency at midnight for the 4th week in a row writing yet another script for a bank that you know is not going to go anywhere because your creativity has been masked by beligerance due to over exhaustion and too much take-out thai food? yeah. that's what i thought.
curry kisses.
miss working together.

11:56 AM  
Blogger DP said...

CV, you need a vacation. Minus the Thai food.

But I do hear ya. I really do like my job. It's just the adjusting part that's getting to me.

Curry kisses and I miss our times in Chicago. Minus the house. ;)

12:38 PM  
Blogger concha said...

the only thing that keeps me going is the thought that..it could be worse. i could be selling insurance.

im at my first job too....and i don't even have a partner. i'm stuck in my own head all day writing horrible crrrap...bc this agency doesn't seem to understand adv like we do.

and if i could i'd much rather be a designer, than a writer. so i agree with cv.

and amen on the girls thing.

2:09 PM  
Blogger Tweets said...

So sad I didn't make your dearest friends list. Wah wah wah.

As a fellow CWB in Dallas, I hear ya loud and clear about the girl-girls, and this town is chock full of them. One time I made the mistake of sorta mentioning that I just might possibly go number 2 every once in a while... Oops, I think the girls here would have been less offended if I had said that I like to get fisted by midgets on the weekends. Gah.


Keep yo' head up. And call me for drinks sometime!

3:28 PM  
Blogger Single, Party of One said...

School was a fantasy world of the pursuit of big ideas for your book. Work is the sad real world pursuit of tiny pieces of crap that might never see the light of day that now people who are absolutely not creative at all want to argue and obsess over ("but I think the word "THE" needs to be eliminated for it to really resonate in our voice!"). Make some artwork on the side. Go get yourself a makeover and a petticoat so you have something to talk about with those girls in Dallas. Just kidding. Oops sorry,what I MEANT to say was I'm FUCKING kidding, bitches.

Better yet, follow Tweets advice and bust out a convo about fisting by the water cooler. that'll loosen 'em up. (oh, look at that...a pun...)

3:51 PM  
Blogger DP said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:48 PM  
Blogger DP said...

Ah shit!! Sorry Tweets -- you slipped right by (there's another pun for ya, RBrown). ST, I'll make it up to ya with a drink. Goddamnit! We need to go drinking already!

Thank you, you lovely, creative beauties for your sound advice. I hear ya. I'll start being a happy little creative.

4:50 PM  
Blogger gina said...

It's sad, but I am living vicariously through you! As an old washed-up art whore I fondly look back on those 100 hour weeks doing awful things. Please keep in mind that Dallas is a special own-kind-of-universe place! Most of the girls there are annoyingly girly. I hope you do get to go out with Tweet and have a rip roaring time flirting with cowboys and rich boys.

10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home