Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Sarcasm: Friend or Foe?

I don't think some people get my sense of humor. I mean, there's not really a whole lot to get so where's the confusion? I recently noticed this at my new place of employment. Now, I'm the token "new girl" and I'm suffering from "new girl syndrome." Not fun. Yeah, I know. I'm mysterious. People must be talking about me between bathroom stall dividers wondering if I like to party or if I live alone with 10 cats. I have the luxury of pulling whichever one of my multiple personalities forward and no one would be the wiser. But, it's still a little lonely (cue in violins). So what better way to break the ice than to drop the sarcastic comment here and there?

Yeah. Hmmm...not quite.

You see, as much as I love to joke around with my friends WHO HAVE THE SAME SENSE OF HUMOR AS ME, new people don't always get it. At times they'll respond with a blank, mouth-slightly-open-minus-the-drool expression; not exactly what I'm going for. It's not until I ruin the ending by cracking a smile so they get that I was kidding. That's when the jittery "oh you were JOKING!" laugh gets plugged in. Now, don't get me wrong. These people are funny. I hear them (eavesdrop?) in their conversations and I join in with my own muted little chuckle. I'm thinking it's just a matter of time before we get to know one another. That hey, the "new girl" is laid-back; she can dish out a saucy comment and by golly, she can take one too!

Until then, I will sit patiently at my desk and wait until the next happy hour before I display my sassy sarcastic nature. As Jack would say, "Wait 'til they get a load of me."

2 Comments:

Blogger gina said...

Aw it just sucks to be the new girl! I hope things are going better today and that everyone has realized by now that they are standing in the presence of hipness on a level they have never quite experienced before!!

9:08 AM  
Blogger DP said...

Diva, you made my day. :)

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home