Thursday, December 28, 2006

What? The Holidays are over?

Talk about depressing. It's Thursday, December 28 and there are literally nine people at work today on my floor. Nine. Everyone else is either on holiday or faking the flu. I spent the morning playing dueling iTunes with my neighbor (y'know, where you try to out song the person next to you) and spent the afternoon at the dentist's office which too, was an utter waste of time. Now here I am, trying to look busy at work when I'm actually blogging to you fine folks...who are probably on holiday or faking the flu. Great.

So in case you decide to stop by for a quick read, I'll leave you with more than just my boredom at work. Let's talk about Christmas!

As some of you know, I'm not Christian so Christmas wasn't a huge deal growing up. This can be quite challenging for a kid, especially when your immigrant folks don't know that they should keep the Santa lie going at least until you're six or seven. Back in elementary school, kids would talk about all the great presents Santa had left for them under the Christmas tree. They even had these things called "stockings" full of candies and small toys! What the hell?! Why didn't this Santa dude come to my house? We had a chimney! I then learned that you had to leave out some milk and cookies for Santa; like some bribe in order to get the fat man to leave you a gift or two. So I tried that the following year, and still, nothing. I would ask my parents and they would act like I was nuts. "What? A large man in a red suit is supposed to slide down the chimney and leave you presents? Is this what they're teaching you in school?" They must have finally caught on because I remember one year, my mom took me to the mall so that I could sit on Santa's lap. I was so thrilled! Finally! I get to talk to this dude who's been giving me the shaft for two years now. Of course, I was so awestruck, that I totally forgot to bring that up. Well, on the way home, my mom had to make a quick stop into a department store. Guess who I saw in there? Go on, guess. SANTA CLAUS. And it wasn't the same Santa I just sat on in the mall. Imagine my surprise. So I asked my mom how Santa got from the mall to the store so fast, and bless her heart, my mom just isn't the best liar in the world. So, that evening, the jig was up. I gave the fat man in the stupid red suit a nasty look and the myth of Santa Claus was forever shattered.

Despite all of this my family still loved the idea of the holidays, so we would put lights up, buy the occasional Christmas tree, drink eggnog in front of the fireplace and maybe exchange a small gift or two. I was determined to make this holiday as Christmas-y as I could since it's my last Christmas with my folks before I get married, but for some stupid, lazy reason, I really didn't do a whole lot this season. Yeah, I participated in the Secret Santa gift deal at work and even bought my fiance a gift. But I didn't go all out (or even half way out) this season. So to make time pass, here's a list of things I didn't get to do this holiday season but wish I had:

1. Put up Christmas lights. I know. Tragic. And I have no good reason as to why I didn't. I have a string of coloful lights around my desk at work, but not a single one on any given bush, tree, plant outside my house. So sad.

2. Put up a Christmas tree. I know, I'm not Christian. But you folks do know that the tree has absolutely nothing to do with Jesus, right? And even if it did, who cares? I like Christmas trees, I like lights, I like ornaments. And I'm bummed that I didn't put one up this year.

3. Drank eggnog. Another one I haven't missed in years but again, failed to fill up the glass this season.

4. Sang a Christmas/Holiday song from start to finish. For some reason, I can start pretty much any seasonal tune but by verse two, I'm just making it up by this point.

5. Kissed under some mistletoe. Y'know, I've never done this? It always looks so romantic in movies. I'm putting it on my list for next year.

Despite all the things I didn't do, I did spend time with my family and future husband, watched plenty of movies, ate plenty of popcorn, and slept a whole lot as well. And I can't wait to do it all over again next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home