Thursday, October 11, 2007

Confessions of an unemployed wife.

Latley I've been throwing myself some pity parties. I'm usually the only one in attendance with the occasional appearance from my puppy. And as stimulating as our conversations are, I'm still left wanting more.

For instance, a job would be nice. Some place to go every day, y'know, kinda like a "routine." Get up every morning with a purpose. A somewhat clear picture of what my day is going to consist of. Hell, just to HAVE a reason to get up early (other than to walk the dog and workout) would be great.

But no. Not yet. Right now my days are filled with 1) walking the dog and working out (which I already mentioned), 2) getting my fill of Food Network and other life-enriching television shows, 3) surfing the net and obsessively checking my gmail, hoping some employer who said he/she thought I had a great portfolio would drop me a line saying how they couldn't wait for me to come work for them, 4) peeing, 5) trips to Walgreens/Starbucks/other major chains where I can waste my money on items I don't need, 6) napping, and 7) waiting for my husband to get home so I can have some human conversations in English (did I mention I live in Puerto Rico and know, oh, maybe five words of Spanish?).

Now before I get e-punched and told to e-"quit-your-bitching-you-live-on-a-Caribbean-island" let me remind you that it's much easier to judge when you're in some place other than my shoes. As I get defensive, let me also tell you that I do have goals other than finding employment. I want to learn Spanish, for instance, as well as French (there just happens to be an Alliance Française near my hood). I want to start painting again, experimenting with pastels and charcoal and channeling my hostility in a more artistic way. I want to become more diverse in my culinary skills (ahem, Food Network) and wow not only myself but my husband too, with all my savory creations.

I WANT TO DO ALL THESE THINGS.

Problem is, it's hard to get motivated when one major component is missing. A career is an anchor. And the right one will challenge you and make you want to pursue other things in life. Yes, work will take major time out of my week. But it will also push me to create time for all those other wonderful things I enjoy doing outside of work.

I know when my career is finally in full swing, I'll sometimes wish for a 25th hour in my day. And that's OK. Because I'll have achieved some much needed balance to my life.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lot 53 said...

I am so right there in time with you, I just haven't admitted to it. Inaddition, some of your other posts sound as if your writing for/about me. Strange to meet a blog sis, I'll have to check back... ~smiles~

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home